808nm Laser Goggles
Lasers that operate at 808nm serve a number of purposes.
808nm Laser Goggles
Most commonly, they are used by dermatologists for laser hair removal. In this process, the laser is applied directly to the affected area of the skin and penetrates to the base of the hair, attacking the follicle. After several repeat applications, hair falls out in the desired area and does not grow back for some time. With an upgrade in power output, 808nm lasers are also used for engraving and cutting.
As with any Class IIIA, Class IIIB, or Class IV laser, proper eye protection is mandatory. Especially so in the case of an 808nm laser, because use of the beam is not readily apparent; 808nm is in the near-infrared band, just outside the visible spectrum. To be visible, a laser wavelength must range from 400-700nm.
Phillips Safety Products carries an assortment of laser glasses and goggles, which can be fitted with lenses that protect from a wide range of laser wavelengths. This eyewear protects the eye from the hazardous reflected or scattered radiation cast off by laser light. For the 808nm wavelength, Phillips offers the following lens options:
- Alexandrite/Diode High Light Transmission – blue in color, Visual Light Transmission 55.5%, OD 6+ at 690-1000nm
- Argon/Ruby/Diode/Alexandrite/YAG/CO2 – brown in color, Visual Light Transmission 21.0%, OD 7+ at 710-1200nm
- Multiwave YAG/Alexandrite/Diode – light blue in color, Visual Light Transmission 64.0%, OD 7+ at 700-1200nm
- Vbeam/Vbeam2/Dye Filter – purple in color, Visual Light Transmission 71.0%, OD 7+ at 795-810nm
- YAG/Alexandrite/Diode/Homium – light blue in color, Visual Light Transmission 50.0%, OD 7+ at 704-1600nm
- Alexandrite/Diode – pink in color, Visual Light Transmission 32.6%, OD 5+ at 730-855nm and OD 7+ at 755-830nm
- D680 UV Excimer/Diode/InGaAs – green in color, Visual Light Transmission 64.0%, OD 3+ at 745-1115nm and OD 5+ at 800-904nm
- D81 Diode 810nm Filter – yellow-green in color, Visual Light Transmission 68.0%, OD 5+ at 800-830nm
- Diode/Alexandrite – green in color, Visual Light Transmission 50.0%, OD 5+ at 800-980nm
- DH83 Laser Safety Filter – brown in color, Visual Light Transmission 33.0%, OD 4+ at 808-850nm
- Diode – green in color, Visual Light Transmission 27.9%, OD 6+ at 600-900nm
- Intense Pulse Light (IPL) – green in color, Visual Light Transmission 9.0%, OD 1.5+ at 550-1100nm and OD 3+ at 620-1050nm
- Alexandrite/Diode/YAG – green in color, Visual Light Transmission 41.0%, OD 5+ at 730-1085nm
- Multiwave YAG/Harmonics/Alexandrite/Diode – amber in color, Visual Light Transmission 10.6%, OD 5+ at 730-1090nm
Your user manual or laser unit label will often clarify the operating parameters of your laser, and/or your organization’s LSO (Laser Safety Officer) can determine the proper safety eyewear you should use. If ever you’re unsure, contact one of the laser safety experts at Phillips Safety Products for a free consultation and optical density calculation.